Sunday, June 24, 2012

Reflections from this side of the pond


          A month ago, I was finishing my final exams in Edinburgh, Scotland, amidst cloudy skies and less than spring-like weather. I had been studying abroad for four-and-a-half months, and by the end of my time there, I was used to my usual routine and long, relaxing days filled with free time and tea time across the pond.
            Fast forward a few weeks, and everything quickly changed. After returning home to Bethesda, Maryland, for a week, I moved some things around in my suitcase and set off for scorching New York City to begin my internship at Parade Magazine. With the jetlag still wearing off, I was excited—but also somewhat confused and nervous—as I began to adjust to life in a fast-paced environment, all while trying to integrate myself into a new program with people who probably thought I was crazy when I’d accidentally call my apartment a “flat.” And don’t even get me started on my initial struggles with the subway. Even though I grew up using this type of transportation fairly frequently, that didn’t stop me from taking the route to my office building two separate times before I started, just to make sure that nothing would go wrong on my first day.
            However, despite all the changes I faced at the beginning, I’ve managed to take part in a lot of new adventures in the city and at my internship. I’ve certainly been busy as Parade’s first ASME intern, and I’ve enjoyed getting to know my colleagues and help out with a variety of assignments for both print and online. Last week, I even got to go to an early screening of the Katy Perry movie, “Part of Me.” Sure, the audience mainly consisted of tween girls and their mothers, but how could I say no? Plus, the free cupcakes from Magnolia Bakery and Katy-themed gift bags didn’t hurt.
            That doesn’t mean that every moment of the past few weeks has been filled with glitter and excitement, but instead, I’m trying to consider every moment of my internship and my new life in the city a learning experience. That doesn’t mean that I’m always cool and collected in the moment (just ask my roommates!), but I’ve learned that being spontaneous every once and awhile and taking on new projects and responsibilities can be a good thing. I know it sounds strange coming from the girl who obsessively mapped out her subway route, but it turns out being open and trying new things both inside and outside the office can indeed be fun. 

-Sarah Lyon, Parade Magazine
            
Katy Perry movie fun: 

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/?ui=2&ik=2389505fcb&view=att&th=13820d70caa001dc&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P-gw07ZSGetdhSDipBo1xvT&sadet=1340581412825&sads=g18faL-gte8y-ALXnbHdu8U9R-ohttps://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/?ui=2&ik=2389505fcb&view=att&th=13820d7265c3db10&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&auth=DQAAAIIAAAAgZHag8NjiR6yb3TSjcybWo4iDAvrRV1K2DUrNiD_HbirID1oiaZj1cnhEpIv_NvFoCOQR-VAPonZnBuFL010zHBeFlMobzHEN8DzyG5WYi-WOI4vSBJjG2INndh0ZcPWQwZkMfJexV7o0lDk6Y0GI3dov7IhGi89XWO3BGSdJhsQnqA3bwFKX2WeLm7T5n8Y&saduie=AG9B_P-gw07ZSGetdhSDipBo1xvT&sadet=1340581382934&sads=zjFwpZO-1v3IRnyMFb9Oa_TrpgQ

No comments:

Post a Comment