Friday, July 13, 2012

"Hold On" to Summer Fridays

Good Afternoon, America!

Today was my second "Summer Friday" this summer and I must say: they are the BEST invention ever. Seriously, right up there with the wheel and electricity. 

Being an intern is amazing, don't get me wrong, but in a city with so much to do — and some of it only being available on weekdays — it's really nice to have a Friday off here and there. 

Uncle Ben told Peter Parker: "With great power comes great responsibility." Therefore, I feel that having these days off, it is important for me to make them count. Go all out, if you will.

Today I had reserved tickets for myself and one of my best friends, Rachel Bennett (intern at J-14 Magazine) to go to a live episode of the new afternoon talkshow "Good Afternoon America," a spinoff of "Good Morning America," hosted by Lara Spencer and Josh Elliot.

This is my ticket for "Good Afternoon America!" Legit, I know.
 It was my first time at any sort of event like this. In North Carolina I did intern for our local CBS affiliate (WRAL) and work for a Jeopardy-style, Quiz Bowl show for local high schoolers entitled "Brain Game." I was a pop culture question writer and got to participate in the production of the show too, which was great.

This was a whole other level.

There were actual tickets (see picture above) and the studio was beautiful. Besides the equally charming and beautiful hosts, the other thing that frightened me was that the show was LIVE. As 2 p.m. approached, I prepped myself: "Carson, DO NOT do anything crazy and just be normal." I had a feeling I was going to be visible on television since I was in the third row, so that added to the nerves. Endorsement: Please watch the episode and try to spot me. 


I thought that this would be the most exciting thing that an intern at TV Guide Magazine could possibly do, and I was totally right.


All of the segments were great, but the cherry on top of an amazing hour was Wilson Phillips. You may have heard their song "Hold On" (if this video doesn't scream 90's to you then there is a problem) in the 2011 box-office hit "Bridesmaids."

Wendy Wilson, Chynna Phillips and Carnie Wilson (left to right).
Wilson Phillips not only sang their 1990 chart-topping hit "Hold On," but also "California Dreamin'" as performed by Chynna's parent's band The Mamas & the Papas (note the awesome 60's style). The best part: we walked away with their new CD "Dedicated," which is full of the music of The Beach Boys and The Mamas & the Papas (Wendy and Carnie's heritage is The Beach Boys and Chynna is a byproduct of The Mamas & the Papas).

When the show ended, I expected Lara and Josh to disappear back to their dressing rooms and for us to be herded out of the studio. They are busy, I get it. But as soon as the producer said the show was over, Lara invited everyone up to get a picture with her and Josh. This was completely unexpected but completely brilliant at the same time. I'm such a big GMA fan, so this was really exciting for me (note the smile below).

This is probably the best day I have had all summer. It was definitely a "Treat Yo Self" kind of day.

Dream come true: Josh Elliot, me and Lara Spencer (BFFs already)
Commercial breaks were great. Fancy, huh?
Important lessons learned today:

  1. Lara Spencer is my height (sans heels) and is gorgeous.
  2. Carnie Wilson is the sweetest human being. Ever. (So are Wendy Wilson and Chynna Phillips)
  3. There are a lot of rules for these tapings, especially this one since it was live.
  4. Make every "Summer Friday" AMAZING!

Cheers,

Carson Blackwelder
ASME Editorial Intern | TV Guide Magazine
University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment