Friday, July 20, 2012

It Never Gets Old

Reading magazines, I always kind of wondered about the real people's stories they featured. How did these people get connected to the magazine? Did they pitch their own stories? Did they happen to know someone at the magazine? Did an editor just come across their stories by chance?

Well, even in my short time at O, The Oprah Magazine I've gotten some pretty good insight into the answer to that question. I've had the opportunity to do a fair amount of editorial research, which often involves combing through articles from small town newspapers or even school announcements. From the comfort of my lovely cubicle high up in Hearst Tower, I spend much of my time reaching out to people all over the country.

The coolest part of it, though - the part that never seems to get old, no matter how many times I do it - is calling or emailing people to tell them we may be interested in featuring them in the magazine. Unfailingly, people get incredibly excited and are eager to find the time to share their stories. It makes my day all over again each time someone says "Yes, I'd love to connect you with her as soon as possible. She will be so thrilled to hear from you." Hearing their excitement gets me excited every single time.

In addition to this kind of editorial research, a large part of my job has been transcribing interviews. While I'm sure for many people there's nothing worse than the thought of listening to an hour-long conversation and writing down every word, I always get caught up in the interesting stories of whoever is being interviewed. And earlier this week, I had the opportunity to transcribe two particularly cool interviews - if you pick up our November issue of O, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about!

I can't believe I only have three weeks left at this job. It's gone by faster than I could have possibly imagined, probably because I wake up so eager to go to work every morning (impressive for someone who hates mornings as much as I do) and often prefer the work week to the weekends. There's just so much going on here, and totally ordinary days are constantly upgraded by a particularly exciting task or event or even a random item from the freebie table (like the book from my favorite author I got to read two weeks before it came out). So, my only complaint about this summer so far? That there's not more of it left.

-Madeleine Frank, intern at O, The Oprah Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment