Sunday, August 5, 2012

Daydreaming Sylvia Plath

Living somewhere for only about two months is tricky. You have to decorate your walls right away, or it's too late and you're leaving already.  Here I am, at the beginning of the last week and should start packing already, but for some reason, I'm obsessed with our room walls. Correction, blank room walls. 

My walls have been blank because I never got the chance to buy some tape. Or maybe, I purposefully didn't because I knew I was here only temporarily. Maybe my mind wanted to keep them blank, so that each time I look at them I'd remember that there's something else I should do and that I'm not here forever. So that anything else I should do, I should do it now. Maybe I was also subconsciously stopping the time, making myself believe that I've just arrived here, and that there's still time. But mostly, think about how sad it is to take something off. Better leave it the way it is.


So I spent my summer with empty walls. I'd look over at my desk to feel more settled, where I put up all the post cards I collected from Chelsea art galleries and various museum exhibitions. It's also where all my magazines are. Now it's time to slowly pack them and leave this dorm.

When I read Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar for the first time in 10th grade, one thing nailed to my mind was that she was chosen for a magazine journalism program, where she spends the summer in New York City, living with fellow program interns and working at Mademoiselle magazine. I wanted what she had, so much. I didn't even know that I wanted to be a journalist or work at magazines then. I didn't know I loved this city. It was a subconscious dream I had, and here I am. Here we all are, and we will be back.

Burcu Noyan
ASME Online Editorial Intern at Lucky
Vassal College '13



No comments:

Post a Comment