Friday, August 10, 2012

Three things I would do for a story


The other day I was walking with someone through Fort Greene Park, and after that we stumbled down through a couple streets where the apartments were cordoned off, and we looked at a blue sign on the side of a building, and on that blue sign we saw that the apartments were cordoned off because filming was being done for the series Girls.

And that’s when he said, “I don’t like that show. I feel they’re mocking my life but not really getting it right.”

Right.

At that point I hadn’t yet spent three consecutive hours watching Girls, multi-tasking while splayed across my roommate’s bed (1st episode: froyo; 2nd episode: nails; 3rd episode: wine).

If I had, that’s when I would have said, “I like that show. Maybe you’re just not living it right.” Then, noted: Parallel structure does not guarantee biting repartee.

Color me guilty or color me typical, but Lena Dunham’s tongue-in-cheek portrayal of voice of generation totally resonates. I would do so many things for a story.

These things include but are not limited to:
  1. Perform impromptu spoken word in Fort Greene Park
  2. Transcribe over 14 hours of oft-muffled interview
  3. Walk into a McDonald's barefoot
I have stories about the stories I worked on this summer, and stories about the stories I collected in my little wicker basket of real life adventures. I’m just not sure which I consider the real story yet.

In any case, I am probably too young to be a writer writing about writing, even if the underlying topics are a) desperation and b) paralysis. Not again until long from now will I have ASME’s implicit endorsement to do so, and I’ll mention that at dinner with my parents next week.

—Michelle B. Timmerman, Glamour, Harvard University

No comments:

Post a Comment