Thursday, August 2, 2012

Time Flies When You're Having Fun


For three weeks, beginning July 3, Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise have been on everyone’s radar at People magazine and on the cover. I joined a team of interns to stakeout Katie Holmes apartment building in the days after the divorce announcement was made. I was standing outside behind barricades with paparazzi and reporters from The Daily News and The Insider. We were all waiting to see if Katie Holmes would come out of her building. While standing outside for hours with paparazzi, I networked and even met other interns that were there. At the end of my shift, there was no sign of Katie Holmes, I assumed that was the end of the stakeout, little did I know it was just the beginning.

One day I saw Katie Holmes and I had to follow her inside Whole Foods supermarket. It was weird but she didn’t notice and neither did her bodyguards. I observed and took notes on what I saw. Another intern and I reported on the Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes divorce, I was outside of the building of her attorney’s office and another intern was at her apartment building. Any time we would receive any information or details from her visit we would email our editor. You can view the article here: Katie Holmes Visits Her Divorce Lawyer

In the midst of all the Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise madness, I was assisting the fashion editor with her “Dress Like a Sexy Celebrity” segment on ABC-TV’s “Good Afternoon America.” I worked with her fashion stylist and checked in clothes and items that came in and picked out items that would work for the segment. It’s amazing how a stylist goes through approximately 50 pairs of jeans for one pair and two minutes on television. The same goes for the shoes, tops and accessories. I also assisted in fitting the four models for the show, who are interns at Good Afternoon America. The day of the show, I was invited to see it live and saw how the fashion editor prepares for the segment. It was a great learning experience for me since I am interested in fashion and I was able to see some of the stylish items that are under $100.

Last week was another hectic week at People magazine. Tom Cruise was in town and you know what that means…stakeout! We had to stakeout his hotel and at Katie Holmes apartment building. Late one night I received a tip from a paparazzi who saw the car accident they had downtown in Chelsea. I immediately emailed the editor and they told me to obtain all the details and interview him. It was 1:00 a.m. and I was interviewing him over the phone and typed everything up and sent it to my editor by 2:00 a.m. She was amazed by all the information I obtained and said I did a great job. It was put on the website that very day and was the number one story on the website for three days. You can view the article here: Katie Holmes & Suri's Car Hit by Garbage Truck

That morning I woke up four hours later to stakeout at Katie Holmes building. I was there by 8 a.m. and then the paparazzi came around noon. Around that time they received a tip and said the black SUV just left the building and is heading to Tribeca. They told me and I told the editor, then the paparazzi (the source for the car accident story) told me that I can go in the car with them and follow the SUV.  In the heat of the moment I went and we chased the car to “The Greenwich Hotel” and that was where I saw Tom Cruise with Suri. One word to explain that experience: Crazy! I will never be involved in a car chase and I will not ride in the car with a paparazzi. When I told the editor, she was concerned for my safety and told me that I should never do that because anything could happen but she knew it was in the heat of the moment. I was just so interested in getting the information for People that I didn’t really think about what could happen. At the end of the day it was an experience that I will never forget.

On Thursday, July 19 I attended the Samsung Galaxy S III launch event at the Marquee nightclub in lower Manhattan. I had just come from reporting on Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise and rushed to the club for my next assignment. I was assigned to interview Ashlee Simpson for the website. I entered the club to the VIP area and had an interview with her and it was great. You can view the article here: Ashlee Simpson: Bronx Loves the New Puppy

People magazine has been a rewarding experience for me and I have learned so much! I can’t believe I only have a week left before it’s over. I guess it’s true what they say, time flies when you’re having fun.

-Mabel Martinez, People Intern

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate your posted wonderful photos. Thanks for sharing such an interesting post.
    Online Puzzle Games

    ReplyDelete