Thursday, June 13, 2013

I Used To Want To Be a Dentist But...

You know your summer is going to be awesome when you're assigned a story to write on your first day of work at the magazine of your dreams. You know it will be even more epic when the first female MC tells you she loves you and call her anytime after you interview her.

I'm an entertainment intern. Cool, right? I've always thought I wanted to go into politics and discover the next Watergate scandal or something like that and win a Pulitzer Prize (but don't cross that off of my bucket list). I know I technically don't have a job post-grad, but this is the second entertainment internship I've had. Neither time was by choice for the record.

I had lunch with an up-and-coming artist, my editor and a few other press people yesterday. Filet mignon and duck was on the menu. All paid for by the artist. The artist talked about his music as we eat. It was a rapid fire round of questions. I kept up with the best of them. Fancy free meals and a magazine clip in the two weeks? This play hard, work harder lifestyle seems to be the right fit for me.

I pinch myself daily. Surely this is a dream. I'm convinced I'm sleep and my life is like the movie Inception. This is a dream within a dream, within a dream, within a dream and so on. But, I'm perfectly fine with this dream. Just don't wake me up.

By Taryn Finley, Howard University, ESSENCE Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment