Friday, June 7, 2013

I'm Not in Staten Island Anymore

I'm no stranger to Manhattan. I'm from Staten Island and visit museums and friends here often. 

But, this summer is different. No, I'm not a commute away. I live in New York City. 
I've dreamed about living here since I was five years old. Now, I can finally take advantage of the events and soak up the atmosphere. I've been trying everything I can fit into my schedule. My daily activities include running to Central Park or along the East River, hanging out with my awesome roommates while exploring the East Village, laughing my butt off at an Upright Citizens Brigade show, and attending all the free events I can manage.
The past week --my first full week at Woman's Day -- has been crazy amounts of work and play. For example, here's what I did today!
8 a.m.: I wake up (to All You Need Is Love – no blaring alarm for me!) and scarf down some Raisin Bran and milk. Luckily, I realize that it is raining before I leave the building and dash back to my room to grab an umbrella.
9:05 a.m.: I miss the subway. But thankfully, I rush and catch another subway uptown. Despite my best efforts, my hair doesn't do well in humidity, frizzing at the rate of a Chia Pet on an infomercial.
9:17 a.m.: As I hop (er, splash) around puddles and onto the street, my stomach growls. I swing into Tim Horton's (just down the block from the office!) and grab a strawberry yogurt. I'm out of fruit at home. I don't have an hour to spend at Trader Joe's packed between strangers. This will have to do. 
9:30 a.m.: I feel official with my ID card, even if I do look a little bit like an alien on it. I'm right on time! After saying hi to everybody, I fuel up with coffee, catch up on email and bury myself in work.
11 a.m.: I have scribbled on several Post-It notes as reminders of to-do lists and ideas. In between research and other work, I hop on Pinterest and Twitter to do social media duties. I may have drooled at a few photos in the feed because today is National Doughnut Day! Yum.
12:30 p.m.: Lunch! I meet up with a roommate and other intern friends in the cafeteria. It's still pouring outside, so I feel like a salmon in a river when I try to find the cashier. A chicken sandwich with chipotle mayo and all my favorite sandwich fixings hits the spot.
1:30 p.m.: I change into my workout clothes and dash off to an exercise class meant just for press. Gotta love media perks!
3 p.m.: I return, slightly sweaty, but completely satisfied. My muscles ache in all the right ways, so I'm happy to sit down and get to work again. I sip some milk as I start researching and planning pitches. My sneakers are soaking wet from the rain.
5 p.m.: I've finished everything I need to do today, so I take advantage of the time to do even more research. I love research. Sometimes I think Google owns my soul. I'm addicted.
Hmmm, reminds me of some other interns:


I saw "The Internship" at a screening yesterday. It's an awesome movie. 
5:30 p.m.: Done for the day! I hop on the subway home – eager for dinner and dry socks. It's finally time to cozy up with my laptop and catch up on the latest episode of Game of Thrones.
Sound hectic? It was. I wouldn't have it any other way.

By April Castillo, Woman's Day
Edited by Anna Price Olson, Brides

No comments:

Post a Comment