Thursday, August 1, 2013

The Art of an Exit

I find that packing up and leaving a place is a different demon than trying to pack up to go somewhere. When at home readying for a trip, I am surrounded by everything I am used to living with, and I grapple with necessarily needing a fourth pair of jeans.

Packing up for home has different thorns. I know that everything will have to end up in the suitcase one way or another, as it was a part of the intricate Tetris puzzle of my suitcase before. But this time around, I have to also find room for everything that was purchased while away.

I, being most wise and poor, did not purchase anything this summer that will take up space in my bags, which Delta had told me were dangerously close to overweight. However, there is a lot that I am having trouble finding room for in my luggage.

First of all, my friends. Each and every one of the people I met this summer gave something different to me: be it inspiration, sound advice, or a laugh. For that, I am eternally grateful.

Secondly, everything I have learned. MONEY Magazine reinforced that I am on the right trajectory for my future, and everyone there, from the top of the masthead to the bottom, supported me as I found my way through the jungle of personal finance. The magazine industry is a place I very much desire to come back to, and I blame this summer.

Lastly, this city. The noise can be deafening, and the lights blinding, but I am fully willing to cope with those minor details in exchange for riding the train to work, escaping rain under an awning or queuing onto the sidewalk for a table at a restaurant.

How I fit all of these things into a carry-on and a checked bag is looking like a problem for another night because TimeOut just tweeted about a great new place on the Lower East Side.

I am forever indebted to the people who made this summer what it was, and please, all of you keep in touch.

Cheers,

-Stefan Malmsten, MONEY Magazine, Ohio University

No comments:

Post a Comment