Monday, June 2, 2014

Embarking on a Dream


Ten days ago, I was on a post-study abroad vacation on a Greek island being spoiled by my family with endless food and permission to relax. I had no responsibilities whatsoever, except to eat as much as possible so not to insult my aunt’s cooking. When I got back to the United States, the first thing people said was, “Are you dreading going back to reality?” I suppose this is a natural presumption, that going from paradise to an interstate commute and 9-to-5 job would be rough. On the contrary, I couldn’t be more excited!

To understand this reaction, you would have to know that I’ve been obsessed with magazines since I was dragging copies of J-14 to preteen sleepovers. I’ve since graduated to more sophisticated titles, but my love for great storytelling, photography and design has only gotten stronger. That’s why I was so thrilled to discover the ASME internship program -- a 10-week training ground for people like me who dream of writing and editing magazines -- and so far, I have not been disappointed.  
As of now, we’ve only had our orientation, and I’m already blown away. Firstly, I’m in a group with 24 other people who are just as jazzed about headlines, interviews and digital editions as I am. It is truly thrilling to be able to use terms like “EA” (editorial assistant) and “YM” (defunct girls’ magazine) and have people understand what I’m talking about. And secondly, we were introduced to an incredible line-up of established editors last week: Vanessa K. Bush, the editor-in-chief of ESSENCE, explained how magazines are becoming huge brands; Mark Mikin dropped jaws with Esquire’s tablet edition work; and Parents editor and Ed2010 founder Chandra Turner moderated a no-BS panel on getting a first job in the magazine business, just to name a few. If orientation is any indication of how amazing the rest of the summer will be, I have a feeling I’m not going to want to leave New York.
By Christina Jedra, Emerson College, Parents
Edited by Chelsea Stone, University of Southern California, Reader's Digest

No comments:

Post a Comment