Monday, June 9, 2014

Five Things I Learned from Two Weeks in New York City

With a city as popular as New York, it’s bound to grow some stereotypes over the years. Sure, I knew the subways would be dirty and the people might not be so nice, but I’ve picked up on a few things that some people might not realize when it comes to living here and not just being in town for the weekend:



1.     The subway stairs are the hardest to climb

            It might be the incline or the overwhelming desire to just get out from underground, but going                 up the stairs from the subway are the hardest steps you will take in the city. Even harder than                 taking steps away from 2 a.m. pizza.

2.     Get a significant other

There are a lot of couples — couples holding hands, couples shopping, couples being couples. If you don’t have a significant other, get a dog. Everyone has those, too.

3. Spotting celebrities is a real sport

Walking home from the Hudson River, I nearly brushed shoulders with Olivia Wilde. In my head, I commented, "Oh, what a cute baby," only to look up and see that it was Olivia Wilde's baby. I nearly froze. Yes, she is just as beautiful in person. Later that same day, Ted Mosby from How I Met Your Mother walked passed me on the subway and made eye contact with me. I think he had an "Oh, crap" moment because I definitely recognized him. Of course I proceeded to follow him onto his train where he refused to face anything but the wall. Oh, the celeb hunt. Gotta love it. 


4.     The pizza is that good

Even the $1 pizza you buy from a sketchy place down the street is good. Not to mention Crocodile Lounge, a bar that GIVES YOU A FREE PIZZA when you order a drink. Can’t say “I love you, New York” louder than that.

5.     Learn to power walk

I am like a dog in the way that I always have to be the leader of the pack. I blame that mostly on my habit of fast walking that I picked up to avoid being stuck behind slow-moving people. It’s a good skill to have.

6.     It’s not as scary as you think

I was walking home from my internship at PEOPLE magazine last week and kind of chuckled to myself. After realizing I looked like a total weirdo, I wiped the goofy grin off my face. I was smiling because I finally got that feeling to sink in — the one where you feel like you’re exactly where you’re meant to be and anything is possible.




-- Jessica Facteau, Central Michigan University, PEOPLE
Edited by Varun Nayar, Grinnell College, Fast Company




No comments:

Post a Comment