Sunday, June 8, 2014

One Step at a Time

It’s official. After three semesters living in luscious New York City as an editorial intern and one spent loathing the day at school, I have scientifically concluded that school can be a real life-ruiner – at least as far as fitness goes.

Just look at this photo. Do you see those stats coming straight from my trusty Fitbit Flex fitness tracker? Those 21,222 steps were taken during my first day as an ASME editorial intern at FITNESS Magazine. That’s about 13,000 steps more than I would ever take at school, where I typically sit and study for a majority of the day. And, now that I work at FITNESS, I’m constantly reminded of how important it is to stay active.


During my first day on the job, my steps really started to rack up on the way to my first ASME intern lunch at Sports Illustrated. These intern lunches are held once a week at different magazines and allow the ASME interns to gather in one place and ask questions of important editors from different publications. At Sports Illustrated, we learned the ins and outs of sports reporting, what it takes to be an editor today and, of course, we had to ask what goes into making the SI Swimsuit Issue.



I’ve always been a goal-oriented person, which is why I buy into such silly things as “reaching my daily step goal” or obsessively tracking my sleep and rejoicing when my average sleep duration for the week exceeds 5.5 hours (victory!). And it’s that same goal-seeking outlook that drove me to apply for the ASME internship program, which I see as the ultimate internship for a journalism student.

After only two days on the job, I can tell that fitness and lifestyle journalism is a good fit for me. What could be better than helping women to feel great about themselves, both physically and mentally? It’s an empowering, rewarding and inspiring endeavor.


While I previously worked exclusively in fashion journalism – another one of my passions – I’m ecstatic to be broadening my horizons and writing stories with a whole new focus. So far, I’ve gotten to write about Panera Bread’s new food policy to ban all artificial additives, I’m currently working on a story about Dancing with the Stars’ competitor, Peta Murgatroyd, and next week, I’ll be interviewing Flo Rida for a story. All in just a week’s time!

I could not be more thankful for this opportunity to learn and gain on-the-job journalistic experience. This summer will be one of my most challenging and enlightening journeys yet and each day will be a new adventure one step at a time.


-- Anna Hecht, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, FITNESS

Edited by Gabriela Riccardi, Syracuse University, Family Circle

No comments:

Post a Comment