Thursday, August 7, 2014

Goodbye, New York. Thanks, ASME.

As I sit on an air mattress in my living room (Or dining room? Or common room? It's tough to be sure in these cozy dorms), I can't help but think about the summer that's come and gone.

Saying, "where has the time gone?" is kind of reserved for older people. You know, the lady that pinches your cheek or the gentleman that brings up uncomfortable conversations at the dinner table. But, I don't care.

This summer has flown by. It seems like only days ago that I first sat at my desk, comfortably located within the shadow of a gemsbok mount. A gemsbok, in case you're wondering, is a large antelope. The neck, head, and horns of one watched over me as I worked this summer at Field & Stream, and I could not have had a better time.
It wasn't just the writing and editing. There are certain things that any internship can teach you. But I realized that the ASME internship program is special.

It's tough to tell where I really figured that out.

It could have been as I sat in the ASME offices in May, listening to Essence Editor-in-Chief Vanessa Bush share wisdom at levels that will take me decades to understand.

It could have been when as I read letters from countless readers, realizing how important F&S is to so many people from Portland, Maine, to Portland, Oregon.

It could have happened while I was taking a step, aided by a strong walking stick, as my roommate and I were lost somewhere in New Jersey (that's a story for a different day).

So many different people and events impacted me this summer, and, as weird as it sounds, very few of those things have to do with journalism. That's what's great about the ASME program—you learn how to work a full-time job among some of the best editors in the world and you learn how to live in a massive, amazing city. You learn a lot about being an editor. But, most of all, you learn how to step out into the world and become what you want to be.

It was an amazing summer. But, now it's over. It's time to move onto bigger and better things. I'm a little more ready for those now thanks to ASME and the great city of New York.


--Written by Andy Zunz, the University of Central Florida, Field & Stream
--Edited by Kevin Schultz, Northern Kentucky University, Scientific American

1 comment: